The International Academy of CIO (IAC) provides internationally recognized, specialized accreditation for graduate degree programs in Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Information Technology (IT) leadership. The benefits of this Accreditation includes:
- Fostering the development of best practices, guidelines and frameworks in CIO and IT leadership programs;
- Challenging educators to pursue excellence and continuous improvement throughout their programs;
- Distinguishing accredited programs as having curriculum and overall operations that align with the world’s best practices;
- Providing internationally recognized CIO Certificates to graduates of accredited programs to recognize their credentials and qualifications in IT management;
- Providing employers a benchmark to identify professionals who complete a program that properly prepares them for the IT management challenges they will encounter at work.
Curriculum of an IAC Accredited CIO and IT Leadership Program
IAC accredited programs have curriculums that reflect “CIO Core Competencies”, developed and updated by the IAC research teams and university partnerships. IAC’s CIO Core Competencies are organized by individual, IT organization and business organization perspectives and serve as the foundation for IT course and curriculum development. The motivation is to reflect the multiple perspectives of the role of the CIO in the competency structure and to provide flexibility for incorporating regional, cultural and organizational backgrounds with learning objectives tailored to local needs.
IAC’s Core CIO Competencies:
- Individual / Personal
Systems and Design Thinking
Service Mindset and Marketing
Human Relationship Management
- Project and Program Management
IT Policy and Organization
IT Performance Assessment
Strategic Aspects of Information Technology and Digital Business Transformation
Technology Management and Assessment and Emerging Technologies
Capital Planning and Investment
IAC CIO Certificate
The IAC CIO Certificate is designed especially for graduates of IAC accredited programs and is awarded to professionals who complete all designated courses offered by an IAC Accredited institution and meet all graduation requirements.
While the IAC Accreditation requires institutional members to offer challenging programs that reflect the core competencies or learning objectives for a CIO, the IAC CIO Certificate give recognition to candidates who rise to the challenge, and meet all requirements.
The credential will allow certified CIOs or IT executives to identify themselves as leaders in the industry.
An institution that offers graduate degrees in CIO and IT leadership may voluntarily apply for IAC Accreditation in CIO and IT Leadership. Accredited programs can be housed in different setting within an institution including, but not limited to:
School of Business
School of Engineering
School of Public Administration
IT Leadership is used as the single term to include, but not limit to:
Technology Administration and Policy
Accredited degrees can vary in names, depending on their disciplinary focus, such as MBA, MS, MTM, etc.
The Accreditation process includes four steps:
Submission of Letter of Intent
Decision of accreditation
Please see the IAC Accreditation Handbook for details: IAC Accreditation Handbook Final